I recently figured out that I have a teaspoon that is marked wrong as 1/2 teaspoon after some very frustrating batches of very salty cookie dough. My faith was shaken. Just as we trust that traffic lights won't fail us and cause an accident, we trust that measuring spoon companies correctly label their spoons. Did someone who works at the manufacturing plant think this was a funny joke? A little prank they could pull on some innocent housewife trying to cook for her family? Apparently, they were not aware of the severity of damage this could cause. For the last 4 years of my marriage I've used measuring spoons from either one of my 2 sets in all my cooking and baking. So basically, there was a 50/50 shot of whether or not my dish turned out right, or not so great. Think of all the dishes over the years that didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped. I bet I am an awesome cook, but no one knows it because of this measuring spoon mishap. Think of how Marc has suffered, having to smile and say "it tastes great" when really he was choking down salt. Think of how our marriage has suffered because I'm not the cook he thought he married. Think of how my self esteem has suffered. Think of the humiliation in treats I've given to neighbors and friends...All because of a mismarking on a measuring spoon. This is one thing where mistakes cannot be tolerated.
This wasn't too dramatic, was it?:)
Jan 15th, 2017
9 years ago
19 comments:
I say we march on the factory! Except it looks like it is in India. Pretty funny post.
No one can make me laugh quite like you! I am so glad your marriage has withstood such turmoil :) ha!
How did you finally discover the truth? Were the spoons given to you as a wedding gift? I didn't give you kitchen stuff, did I? :)
I need all the help I can get in the kitchen... that would totally not work for me either.
omigosh, i think that's the funniest blog post i've ever read! it definitely got read out loud to garrett and had us both in stiches! luisa, i'll never forget your awesome cooking/baking skills... remember that cake you made me senior year? DELISH. darn measuring spoon companies. how dare they make you question your awesome kitchen skills! :)
You make me laugh. And no, that wasn't too dramatic. I would be pretty upset too. Don't you feel like remaking all the recipes from over the years that weren't that great. You need to find out if it was you, the recipe or those darn measuring spoons!!
You make me laugh. And no, that wasn't too dramatic. I would be pretty upset too. Don't you feel like remaking all the recipes from over the years that weren't that great. You need to find out if it was you, the recipe or those darn measuring spoons!!
I'm not sure why that published twice...SORRY : }
That is horrible!! I probably would have given up cooking! =)
Just think now the world will finally know the true chef that Luisa really is! Wow, kudos to Marc for his survival, just kidding!
I totally agree with Kim's comment. =)
Hahaha... so true. That measuring spoon has had the potential to ruin your marriage, friendships, children, and your whole life. Thank goodness Jake doesn't it real food yet. It is such a blessing you caught this in time. He never needs to know.
My mistake has been leaving out the salt altogether. The first pie I baked for Grandpa, Teri and I made together. Each of us thought the other had put in the salt. He married me anyway!
My spoons are different than yours, but they still miss-measure. It would have been a real epidemic if they were the same ones...
Oh man that is awful, for marc but Ben's dream come true, he is always dumping salt on everything. Geesh You and Baby have done so much lately, lucky little guy
You told me this...I can't believe it myself. At least the problem is solved.
K, yet another reason why I love you sweet lu! i can totally relate to cooking with a handicap, but i'm afraid i can't blame my errors on a faulty measuring spoon! for the record, my measuring cups' sizes wore off a long time ago, so i'm hoping i recall correctly what they really are:) in meantime, chris has to live with my resourcefulness in the kitchen 'cuz i just live without certain ingredients if i don't have 'em! after all, i never professed to be rachael ray! taking care of our boys is more important, eh? i'm determined to make 'em less picky than my husband:)
hi louisa! sorry it took me so long to leave a comment (i was waiting to leave one on a post that didn't already have hundreds...but i guess you're just too popular!). you are so funny and jake is so cute! i was laughing so hard at your comment to molly about how people must not understand what a good kisser the jailbird is. oh man, so funny.
Wow this so funny! What a great blog. Yeah, pregnancy has been difficult especially working full time. But at least the morning sickness is gone. We just found out it's a girl and are so excited! All the bows, ribbons, dresses--I can't wait! I can't believe I am going to be a mom, well I guess I am one already--do you love it?
Post a Comment