Sunday, June 10, 2007

Young Womens

.........................
I'm Mia Maid advisor, and I have to say...I love my calling! It is so fun hanging out with these cute teenage girls...I don't know if I should be happy or worried that I fit in with 14 year olds so easily still:) But I've been the Mia Maids advisor for 3 years now and I still have fun going toilet papering with them, car dancing (I do that by myself anyways), looking at magazines and talking about the boys they like. The only thing I don't like anymore is Chinese fire drills...why do those never get old to teenagers? I swear they never get sick of doing them. I've been really busy with Young Womens stuff lately. I seriously had something every night of the week for like 9 or 10 days in a row. It's because we had our New Beginnings program we put on (that's our lovely backdrop we made of a castle for the play we did)
And also I've been busy planning Girls Camp which is coming up next week. I'm actually going to Girls Camp this year (June 18th) for the whole week with the girls. I'm really looking forward to it...but for all of you Bakersfield people...you won't believe the set up these girls get for camp. Apparently, we are going to a place with cabins, bathrooms, showers, a cafeteria (with a cooking staff who will cook all our meals), a pool with a lifeguard......Isn't that awesome? Before I knew where we were going I had asked at a camp meeting, "So how will the Latrine Duty rotation work with the girls?" Everyone's like, "What's a latrine?" What's a latrine???!! I mean, what a shame that these girls will be missing out on a good old fashioned latrine stirring experience:) (No one will believe me when I tell them that's what we had to do at our Girls Camp). So then my next question was, "What preventative measures should we take to make sure no girls get stampeded by cows?" Ok, I'm just kidding about asking these questions...but seriously, we have a lot better Girls Camp stories to tell then these young women can ever have. I'm sure you Bakersfield people are enjoying that one about the cows...don't ask me how I managed to almost get trampled by cows and then got the whole camp yelled at by our camp director. Anyways, I guess now I'll get the Girls Camp experience of laying out by a pool:)

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Actually stirring a latrine is one thing I could have lived without doing. I remember having to do it once my first year, then getting out of it every year after that. I would love to go to your Young Womens.

Uffens Family said...

I would like to go to the "spa retreat" with you!
I remember when camping was squatting behind a bush and sleeping in a tent that kept falling on me... which would be why I delegated girls camp to my counselors :)

Luisa said...

To Ashley: Actually I think I got out of latrine duty in my later years of camp too...it's the kinda thing you make the Beehives do:)

To Rach: I love that you "delegated" girls camp to your counselors...that's the beauty of being in charge:)

Natalie said...

I love the questions about girl's camp. I guess we were just lucky. I didn't know you got stampeded by cows. I must have been too old by then.

Luisa said...

It was this year they decided to try an airplane mail drop over the meadow. When the airplane started dropping gifts, I got dead set on catching this certain one. So I was running out into the meadow while looking up at the gift to follow it. I don't know what got into me. Apparently the leaders and girls were all screaming at me to stop cuz they saw the cows headed my direction. I didn't hear them, but all the sudden I noticed the pack of cows running just in time. I literally stopped just as they ran right in front of me. I would have been cow trampled if I hadn't stopped:) Oh, and I watched that gift land in the trees on the opposite side of the meadow. No one ever got that gift. I bet it's still there. Maybe I'll go back and find it someday:)

Stephanie said...

I never had to stir the latrine either as I recall- how did that work. I remember the cow story Luisa. It was legend around these parts.

Tenille Gates said...

hi luisa! its tenille..i used to see you at church in bako a few years back :0) hows it goin? where do you live now?

Luisa said...

Hey Tenille!
How are you? What are you up to these days? Are you still in Bako? We live in Brea...in the O.C. Do you have a blog page? I want to check it out if you do...let me know. Good to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

Don't get too comfy with YW 'cuz I was in your position for 3 1/2 yrs. until just recently=Primary Pres. Ugh! Haven't been there since I was narrator o' prog. @ 12 y.o. & now I have to write the whole thing?! Can't say I was as cool of a MM Ldr. as you , but enjoyed while lasted! Reading your blogs made me realize how awesome & hilarious you are:)Great pics. too although you need some from Safeco Field:) Miss ya & wish you & Marc the best--

Anonymous said...

Obviously I'm not too proficient @ this blogging business:) Our lil' fam doesn't have our own, just admire others. Anyway, didn't want you to think you had an LDS stalker, so added another to let you know that prior Anonymous comment was by me:)