I have a very nice and friendly neighbor who also has a very alarming behavior. Every single time I see her and talk to her, she whips out her camera and takes a picture of Jake. I am not exaggerating...every single time. I haven't had that many encounters with her...I've probably only talked to her 5 or 6 times over the 2 years we've lived here. It might be important at this point to mention that she is Japanese, and so I probably shouldn't be too alarmed by it. But it still weirds me out. What is she doing with these pictures? Does she actually upload them on her computer? Does she get them printed at Costco and then take them home to scrapbook with? Does she have a blog where she posts them to show her friends back in Japan? I want you to have the visual so here is what a few of the encounters have looked like:
Encounter #1: Jake's Blessing Day
After Jake was blessed, we had friends and family over to our place for a luncheon. She was walking by and saw the party, and came in to say hello. This was esentially my first time talking to her. I was holding Jake and said hi to her and the next thing I know, she takes out her camera and takes a couple photos. She didn't ask. She just took them. And then she left.
Encounter #2: Jake at 4 mos. old
Jake and I were sitting out on the lawn in front of my apt. He was in his Bumbo seat. She was walking to her car with her daughter. She saw us and said hi and then told her daughter to go stand next to Jake...and she took a picture. And then they got in their car and left.
Encounter #4: Last night
We ordered some Girl Scout cookies from her daughter who was fundraising, and together they came over to give us our cookies. I answered the door and was making small talk. Things were going fine. Her hand didn't seem to be reaching for a camera. And then Jake came up behind me and stood in the doorway. And I knew, it was only a matter of time. And sure enough, not even 5 seconds later, she told her daughter to bend down next to Jake and snapped a picture.
Now these are a few of the examples. A couple of the times she has gotten me in the picture...now that was awkward. Do I smile? I didn't ask to be in a picture. And she didn't ask me, or give me any warning. In fact, this picture is being taken against my will. I am being held hostage in this picture. I'm sure the look on my face is of someone thinking those things. But mostly it is just Jake by himself, or Jake with her daughter. And that bothers me more. Why is a random person wanting photos of my baby? I've spent a lot of time thinking and wondering what she does with these pictures she takes. I feel absolutely no need to take pictures of children that we have no relationship with. But maybe it's normal. Maybe I'm the weird one. Maybe she's offended I don't constantly take pictures of her daughter. Maybe that's what I'll start doing and she'll get a taste of her own medicine. Every time I see them going outside to their car, I'll run out their with my SLR and just start snapping away like I'm paparazzi. If you have any better ideas on how to make the insanity stop, let me know.
Jan 15th, 2017
9 years ago
5 comments:
that is WEIRD!!!!!
I wouldn't be too creeped out about it. Is she from Japan? Because something similar used to happen to me with the Japanese and Adam. When he was a little guy like Jake we would go to Disneyland. While Gene took Rachel off to rides Adam and I would sit in front of the castle and he would just hop around and play. EVERY TIME several Japanese tourists would take his picture, sometimes asking first sometimes not. Once, when he was about 21/2 I had him there in his OshKosh overalls and a group of about 15 Japanese teenage girls came over and were TAKING TURNS to take their picture with him! You would have thought he was one of the Disney characters!
I think it has something to do with the fact that they live in such a homogeneous society, coupled with their love of all things Americana. Let's face it, your boy and my boy LOOK like America. Those pictures she's taken will probably go in her scrapbook next to pictures of Mt. Rushmore and the Statue of Liberty. So, take it as a compliment! :)
That is creepy...but if I were you I were totally pose...like over pose...that would be hilarious...that or get a restraining order??? Dude...was Trina right?? Is she asian? At least then it makes sense...just teach Jake to make a peace sign.
That is weird... I would be a little freaked out too.
When Owen was little, we would go to the Huntington gardens, which has a huge draw for Asians. They would picture of him like crazy!!!!! Once there was a young couple with a little girl, they took a picture of Owen and their daughter then made a joke about an arranged marriage. At least I think it was a joke.
Post a Comment