Friday, November 6, 2009

Our Halloween

Here are some pics from all the Halloween related stuff we did in the last couple weeks. First, I had my 3rd annual Halloween craft party (somehow it turned into an annual thing I do now:) It was some very good girl/craft time.

Then Marc and I got annual Disneyland passes! Yay! I am so excited to have them again. The last time we had annual passes was when we were dating.
We of course did some pumpkin carving...Jake liked doing the part I hate the most...scraping out the pumpkin.
Here are our jack-o-lanterns. In case you can't tell, Jake's on the right is a little basketball...it wasn't too lit up in this picture. And the reason we made his a basketball was because...
he was a basketball player for Halloween...for the Utah Jazz of course (to make his dad proud). This of course caused some controversy, being that we are only 20 min. from the Staples Center (sorry Lakers). Getting this costume together was no easy task. I bought the jersey online...and of course the perfectionist in me had to get him matching shorts for the uniform. But you can't buy it in toddler sizes. I ended up going to the fabric district in downtown and eventually finding matching fabric to the jersey. At that point I thought I would try to sew the shorts which I always said I was opposed to doing because it would (and has) ended up in a total disaster...let's just say, sewing is not one of my talents. But thankfully, our family friend Suzanne came over following a begging phonecall from me...and made the shorts. Thank you so much Suzanne! And I will boast that I then sewed on the light blue stripes on the jersey and shorts...and did the Jazz iron-on on the shorts. It's sad that I feel proud of myself for sewing some straight lines...but it all turned out great. He was a little stud.
This picture is to show the tatoo I put on him to complete the look...I chose one that is a heart with MOM on it. Hey, if you're gonna give your baby a tatoo, at least make it sentimental.
Marc and I were referees. Marc pointed out how it was symbolic since as parents, we are also referees of Jake's life. How insightful:)
By the way, did I mention why I chose to make him a basketball player? I was debating between other cute costume ideas for a long time...not so sure I wanted to do basketball. But Jake LOVES basketball. He's always talking about it, always has to be holding a ball, and loves to shoot hoops. One morning in October I went into his room to get him up. He sleepily opened his eyes and looked up at me and said "basketball." I thought, wow if basketball is literally the first thing on his mind when he wakes up...then I'd better go with that as his costume.
This is at our ward trunk or treat by the way.
Here's Jake's best little friends: Brody, Lauren and Emily
The Friday before Halloween we had a party with some friends. We did a video scavenger hunt all related to Halloween things. It was pretty dang funny. I apparently deeply embarassed some of my friends on my team at In N Out where we had to stand in the middle of the restaurant and sing Monster Mash.
On the actual Halloween night, we went to Whittier and trick or treated at Grandma and Grandpa's
And then over to Aunt Trina and Uncle Gene's
And then we went around my Aunt's neighborhood and did some more trick or treating. He started to catch on that if he stuck out his bucket, people were putting candy in it. And he was all about it...all business. It was pretty fun for me as a mom to watch.
After that we drove to our friend's house for a party. I had given him a chocolate candy and then hadn't looked back at him for 10 minutes. And then when I turned around I saw this...ahhh, isn't that what Halloween is all about?

9 comments:

Uffens Family said...

Jake makes the best looking NBA player of all time!!! Love that little outfit! Glad you found it! and you and Marc...perfect! Loving your hair! You look beautiful! Looks like an awesome Halloween!

trimarie said...

Pictures turned out so cute. I had no idea you had gone through all that trouble to make his little costume! You should be proud. He looked so cute. Best job ever!
Love you :)

Rach said...

Luisa!!! I am so jealous you got passes! If only you would have done it earlier I would have come with you and taken care of Jake while you went on rides! :0) Sounds like a way fun halloween! Miss you guys!

Lauren said...

the shorts turned out awesome. just what you would expect to find at a sporting store. i also love the hairdo like "birdman" from the nuggets.

Ashley said...

His costume is so cute. You did a great job.

Jones Family said...

Oh he is so dang cute! I love the headband and spiky hair.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you did that to your poor kid. He's gonna have issues all his life if you encourage him to be a jazz fan.

roylancemommy said...

Oh my heavens,....he is so cute. My husband will love his costume when I show him!

Adam and Cristina Smith said...

that costume is awesome! job well done, i love the whole family theme as well. very clever.