Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Sad Story of our Caramel Apples

The sad story is...we basically failed miserably. After Rachel saying to me, and I quote, "There's really no way you can mess them up," I guess you can say I decided to challenge her statement:) Here's Marc showing the hardship on his face...
Marc and I tried so many times to let the caramel toughen up more in the fridge, and then put the M&M's on again...but every time we'd check in on them, it had all slid off the apple. I think I used crappy caramel. (I'll blame it on that and not me:) It was some packaged mixture you add sugar and milk to...
Yes, I know. I'm kind of embarassed about the picture above. I swear there are other things I can bake that turn out good:)

We finally managed to get some of the caramel to stay on the apples and just patted coconut all over them to mask the bald spots.
I thought I could trick people into thinking they were good if I made the wrapping around the apples look really nice. The more I sit here and think about it, the more embarassed I am that I actually delivered these to our neighbors. I don't even think they tasted that good. Maybe the next thing I deliver to the neighbors will be apology notes:)

9 comments:

Uffens Family said...

The wrapping truly does look fabulous :) and I am sure for those of your neighbors that took the plunge and ate them...they tasted delicious! :) ha

Courtney said...

The greatest thing about caramel apples is that regardless of looks, they will ALWAYS taste great :) And yes, the brand of caramels can TOTALLY make the HUGEST difference!! It has to be Kraft...not sure why, but it is the only brag that doesn't sag off of the apples....weird. Anyways, I LOVED your post and pictures!! Merry Christmas, Lu!! I can't wait til we get together for your baby shower!!

Courtney said...

Ok, I just re-read my post, and the word brag=brand :) Ugh...having kids=losing my brain.

Lisah said...

Luisa! I am so glad you left me a comment! I am so excited for you that you are having a baby and yes my due date is April 1st also so it looks like we are due at the same time! I will say that you look A LOT better than me though. I can't believe I have so many kids...??? It looks like you guys are doing good and having so much fun. I think that the apples looked great!

Monica Hudson said...

How cute are you - at least you even attempt those kinds of things. I just throw my hands in the air and say "why bother - I suck at this kind of stuff!" I just have to say, I finally got a chance to catch up with your posts and you are way cute prego and I miss you and Rach - I know we only had one year, but it's one I treasure. You guys pulled me through and I'll never forget that! Love you to pieces!

Anonymous said...

Luisa...you need to buy bags of caramel candy squares made by Kraft...and buy a bunch of bags...then unwrap each candy and put in a pot....then set it on top of another pot with boiling water in it and stir until the caramel melts...put the sticks in the apples and swirl the apples in the melted caramel. This is the best way to succeed....love, Mom

Unknown said...

That's the most awesome thing ever! I would have happily ate one :)

Gene said...

It kind of looks like you guys ran the tray of apples through the dishwasher. Just kidding...but seriously, they look like a balding mans head.

Luisa said...

Thanks for clearing that up Gene